Skip to main content

Bodies of Water

My friend M used the phrase "jumping in with both feet" the other day referring to what she often does when it comes to new relationships. She's now nervous that she's done it again too soon after a breakup with her (now ex) fiance. This commenced a back and forth email conversation comparing men and their commitment levels to bodies of water.

What M and I are both experiencing at the moment are new relationships with men who seem to be wide and deep pools. They would love for us to jump right in and commence a relationship. These are men women dream about. Unfortunately, having both recently left pools that dried up we're a little afraid to get our hair wet again. The water looks wonderful from the side of the pool. We're enjoying dipping our feet it, and even sitting on the edge up to our knees, yet we can't help but wonder- if we take that leap are we going to swim comfortably (relationship bliss), sink to the bottom and drown (lose ourselves), or find there is actually no water (get rejected)?

Are we even jumping into the right pool?

I'm still deciding but Friendster Guy is great. After telling myself to stop thinking and just enjoy his company I discovered I did enjoy his company. His pool is wide and deep. He is ready for a relationship. And although that is a little scary, the alternatives are not that appealing, especially in the long run. In this analogy, High School Guy is a kiddie pool. You can have a heck of a lot of fun laughing and splashing in a kiddie pool. For awhile. Then you start wishing you could stretch your limbs, dive down, float freely, and spend some time underwater tuning out all other distractions. But you can't. You're in a kiddie pool.

Picture Taker Guy turned into a vernal pool, one that appears once in awhile but goes away. Or perhaps he is more of a mirage. After a lovely dinner and conversation last weekend I have not heard from him, but I have heard about him. Now, I certainly can't fault him for this given my particular circuimstances dating other people but just days after our date my friends N and S (who I was with when I met him) ran into him and his girlfriend in town. And then ran into him two more times. One time N didn't even know it was him because his tongue was entwined so completely with this girlfriend's in a public place. I tell you this not because I'm mad or even bothered by these circumstances. I've pretty much done the same thing with Friendster Guy except we haven't quite defined ourselves as girlfriend/boyfriend yet. Also, I knew (and honestly hoped) it wasn't going to work out with Picture Taker Guy because he's moving away in the next few months. In fact, my biggest fear was falling head over heels for this temporary guy and then having to decide between my home and my man. Luckily, "my" man is actually someone else's.

Where does all this leave me? It leaves me by the side of a very nice looking pool testing the waters. For the time being I may wear floaties, and I won't be going into the deep end, but I'm definitely entering the pool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.