Skip to main content

Compliments

You know that guy from MySpace who said I looked beautiful (see last post)? Well I replied thanking him for the compliment. We have now exchanged several emails and he's not actually all that creepy. In fact, he's oddly intriguing. But I may just be a sucker for compliments. After several exchanges he sent me the following email (and his number) - "So, basically you're my dream woman--older, loves the outdoors and hiking, an intellectual but not too serious, and you're wonderfully volumptuous. just thought you should know."

Several things amuse me about this. 1) when did I become "older"? I'm very comfortable with my age and the aging process (my new vericose veins fascinate me) but it's odd to hear someone actually point it out (he's 24, I'm 29) and 2) Voluptuous? I rechecked the pics I have up on Myspace and not a single one shows that I even have boobs nevermind big ones. What exactly is the definition of voluptuous?...

Ok, I've looked it up and I think I found a new word to add to my favorites list. Here's a mix-and-match definition I pirated from dictionary.com.

Voluptuous:
1: having strong sexual appeal; "juicy barmaids"; "a red-hot mama"; "a voluptuous woman"
2: (of a woman's body) having a large bosom and pleasing curves;
3: furnishing gratification of the senses;
4: Giving, characterized by, or suggesting ample, unrestrained pleasure to the senses;
5: Devoted to or indulging in sensual pleasures.

If that's what voluptuous is then I'm ok with being so. Although my ability to indulge in "sensual pleasures" is tempered by my modesty. YES, I can be modest. Especially when it comes to sensual pleasures. Although I'm much less so than I used to be, I think. I haven't really had too many opportunities to indulge recently. But I still have a tendency toward the prudish, except I'd really love to be a "juicy barmaid".

I received another compliment last evening at a party. I was having a nice time talking to this guy I just met, who may earn a nickname to be used here at some point in the future, and he sort of paused in the middle of our conversation, looked me in the eyes, smiled and with this attitude like he just couldn't help himself said something to the effect that my zest for life and positive attitude were palpable and really contagious. He even illustrated it by showing me a picture he had taken of me earlier - which had prompted me to introduce myself to him in the first place. He zoomed in on my face and practically gushed, "look at that smile!"

I'll tell you what, that was a great compliment. Right up there with the time a plastic surgeon stopped me in the hall at a plastic surgery conference I had helped organize and told me I was pretty. I figure if anyone would know it was a plastic surgeon. I was high on that for a long time. It still makes me happy.

You know what else makes me happy? Looking back at old pictures from my "fat phase" not so long ago and realizing how much I have changed in the last few years, and it's not just physical.

Comments

Anonymous said…
check out emily's rules for when you love a woman.
-js

Popular posts from this blog

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.