Skip to main content

Downsizing & Diabetes

This blog is not supposed to be about weight loss but now that I am happily entering a relationship I have been letting my good eating habits slide. That assumes of course that I had good eating habits to begin with. Trust me, I've always been good at eating. Whether what I was eating was good for me is not really up for debate. The answer is no.

With Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family I have to be careful about my health. A reader educational moment: Type 1 diabetes is also known as Juvenile Diabetes but can strike at any time. My father had to go to the hospital on Sept. 11, 2001. Talk about depressing -b eing hospitalized and the only thing on any channel is coverage of the terrorist attacks. Anyway, the main difference between the two types of diabetes is that in Type 1 you do not make any insulin so you are insulin dependent and must give yourself shots. My father had pancreatitis and so developed diabetes when he was in his late 40s. My mother's father got it in his 30s. Obviously neither were "juvenile".

Type 2 means you either don't make enough insulin or your body is confused and doesn't know how to use the insulin you are making. Both my grandmothers developed Type 2 later in life, sometime around 60 or so.

I am also blessed with the genetics that lead me to be apple shaped. Even though it doesn't feel like it to you perhaps, it's much better to have a big ass than to have a big tummy, at least healthwise. A waist of over 35" for women and 40" for men increases your risk for several things like heart disease and diabetes. My waist is 36". I am thick in the middle people. Thick in the middle. This is not surprising given my genetics. If you lined up all my closest relatives you'd see a lovely display of people who could pass for pregnant if they weren't so old and/or male. The only anomaly is my aunt's big 'ol heiny. She's kind of a giantess anyway while the rest of us are petite little things (with belly bulge) so we'll just ignore her.

So yes, this blog is not supposed to be about weight loss but really, attempting weight loss and dating often go hand in hand. I'm not overweight. I am finally at the weight I should be for my BMI to be in "normal weight" category. I was securely in the middle of the "overweight" category about 3 years ago. If I lost 10 pounds I'd be right in the middle of "healthy" instead of skirting the line. Right now, if I gain 1 pound I am back in "overweight". Folks, I can gain one pound between the time I get up and the time I finish my shower. Without having eaten. It would be nice to be more safely ensconced within the "healthy" section.

I'm not saying I should lose weight because some arbitrary number would make me happy. I could care less about the number. Most people are actually surprised I weigh as much as I do at 5'2". "You weight 135! Wow, I never would have guessed that!" (Here at Sassy Pants Inc. we (I) feel the need to be truthful about age and weight.) If I could just look like I lost 10 pounds while only having lost fat and gained muscle that would be cool because fat has been slowly creeping back onto my abdomen. This is not good for my self image. It is also annoying because there is a super killer awesome six pack nestled snuggly underneath the fat layer. I teach a class several times a week at my gym that's all abs, just abs. I can do crunches until the cows come home. Unfortunately those cows have been bringing back milk, cheese, and ice cream. Not to mention some whoopie pies, cookie dough and fudge as accompaniment.

It's not that I can't lose 10 pounds. It's that I won't. Why?
I. Eat. Too. Much.

We'll see if I can manage to eat less. Not a diet. I don't do diets. But perhaps passing on the second (let's be honest here - third and fourth) piece of fudge, or deciding on the small fries/mocha/nuggets instead of the large. I'm going to focus on the tiny little choices that add up over the course of a day and week. We'll see how it goes. I did turn down a whoopie pie the other day. I walked right past the store and took a walk at lunch instead. Go me!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been working with a trainer. When I was in high school, I weighed 115. Two years ago, I weighed 200. I'm now at about 155 -- about five pounds down from when i started at the gym three months ago -- but i'm also down four inches on my waist in that three months.

Here's something you might want to consider: BMI is horseshit. It doesn't take into account body type or muscle mass. Shaquille O'Neill's BMI is somewhere around 32. That makes him dangerously obese (25 is the high end of normal, 30 is obese). But his body fat percentage is somewhere around 4%.

I've learned that body fat percentage is a much better calculation -- 25% is the high end of normal, but you probably want to be under it. I've lost 5 pounds, which means my BMI has gone from 28.3 to 27.5. But my body fat percentage has gone from 23.3% to 18.8%.

If you looked at my BMI, you'd think I was making little progress. But if you looked at my jeans, you'd think differently.

You've posted that you go to the gym regularly -- remember that every time you replace fat with muscle, you're actually gaining weight because muscle weighs more, but you're getting healthier.

OK. I should really be working now.
Anonymous said…
dude, 210 & 5'4"ish two years ago...now 60 lbs lighter, but still have a ways to go and the fries are calling my name...I hear your pain
that's all I'm sayin'....
Sassy Pants said…
First, congrats Josh andAnonymous on doing what for many people seems impossible. Mad props go to you, and all the best wishes for continued success.

I'm all about the exercise as opposed to "dieting". Obviously, a few food lifestyle choices have to be made but mostly my weight loss and the changes in my body have been a direct result of exercise. I have only lost 15 pounds but I've gone from a size 14 to an 8 because of the muscle to fat ratio.I'm more fit than I've ever been. Now i want to look that way - just a little bit more than I do now.

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.