Skip to main content

Here are your options...

1) We'll let you pee but we're going to rape you or
2) you can die of dehydration so you don't have to go to the bathroom in the dark.

Sorry to go on a feminist man bashing spree but are you fucking kidding me? If this it truly happening (which I unfortunately do not doubt it is) there is something terribly, terribly wrong with the male psyche. At least in group-think macho situations. (Note to my male readers, at least the ones I know, nothing personal. I know I'm preaching to the choir. And if I'm not you better start singing.)

In honor of Valentines Day and all the love and romance floating about the world making us forget about the violence and pain inflicted for the same end, I think it may be just about time to bring out my own personal story of sexual assault. It has happened to more people you personally know than you'd ever want to think about. I will post the story I wrote about it sometime in the near future. Maybe today. It's long so I may have to trim it.

In the meantime may I just say what the fuck again!? A woman should be able to walk around completely naked and never be touched without giving her explicit permission. There is nothing that gives a man permission to touch her. Nothing but his own ego and sense of privilege and assumptions about what a woman wants or needs. The shitty part is that most often a woman feels that she wants and needs a man and that she has to dress a certain way to get that and then the guy sees her dressed in that way and assumes he knows what she wants. Guys, she wants love and affection, not a grope and a come on. I've been guilty of these thoughts myself. However, even when I was not dressed provocatively I've been harassed.

This one time, on my first day of work at JCPenney's, I was forced to stand by a display of watches so that they didn't walk out the door. I was 16. I was right near the eye glass section where there were some stools. These two guys in their late 20s, early 30s with stringy hair and wearing flannel were standing in the eye glass area near me. One turned to me and said "Would you like to sit?" Being my first day I assumed that wasn't allowed so I said "No, thank you." and smiled. "Are you sure? You look like you could use a seat." I thought this was very thoughtful of him but again I had to decline. He then turned to me a third time, clasped his fingers together so they were intertwined and sticking up (think "open the church and see all the people") and said, "That's too bad because you could sit here." He wiggled his fingers and laughed with his buddy.

Nice. Did I mention I was 16 at the time? May they never have daughters. No wait, may they have many and may they cause them heartache and pain. Fuckwads.

Comments

Anonymous said…
yeah, i have no doubt this kind of thing is going on. and things aren't really all that much better on the civilian side of things.

up here in the cuse, there was recently someone sentenced to 1 1/3 to 4 years in jail for raping a 15 year old girl in a hospital bed.

apparently, the judge didn't think that a long-term stay in a hospital with drugs being administered to the patient was enough to impair her judgement, and decided the sex was consensual (the crime was upheld because the perpetrator was over 18 and the victim was young).

and kansas is going in the opposite direction -- the attorney general there wants doctors to report possible sexual abuse if minors report any sexual activity -- think thousands of reports of "sally and johnny were frenching under the stairs."

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.