Skip to main content

Hope-oscopes and PMS

My Hope-oscope today says "If you reach your boiling point today, don't fly off the handle! You will regret it."

This is particularly helpful because today and yesterday I am in the throws of PMS. When I have PMS I get really annoyed. Like I just want to scream at the woman outside my office for any small noise she makes. She can have a Mardi Gras parade any other day and it doesn't bother me but throw in a couple of hormones and I want to strangle her for throwing away a piece of paper.

Here's my theory on PMS. It sucks but sometimes it's necessary, kind of like a forest fire - you gotta burn some stuff before you can grow. Sometimes it takes raging hormones to get you to actually say things that have been bothering you for weeks, if not months. Granted, you often say them in a way that is less than productive, but at least you have let them out. I'm referring mostly to experiences within my previous relationship. It's probably not good to bust out the crazy annoyance in the beginning of a relationship but once you are pretty well established, vent away.

Guys - Never, ever say anything condescending or even jokey about PMS, especially when the person you may be referring to is currently entrenched in it. We hate it as much as you do. It is beyond our control which pisses us off even more. We know we are slightly crazy, moody and hard to deal with. However, we are also more honest (or at least less able to regulate what is coming out of our mouths). Pay attention if she is saying something with the word "you" and "toilet paper doesn't refill itself", "hamper has a purpose," or "give me chocolate." Even better, bring her chocolate before she even asks.

Comments

Sassy Pants said…
I suppose I am a New Moon PMS person. Unfortunately I'm chemically regulated so any earth goddess nature thing I could say about that is sort of moot. Better living through chemistry and all that.

Compliments and chores are key to surviving a long term relationship. I lacked compliments. I sought compliments elsewhere. From anyone who would provide them. And when it started being from other men specifically, I realized I had a problem. And that problem slept in my bed.
Tiffany said…
I think PMS is often like being a bad drunk - you often don't feel all that great, no one seems to be enterained by you, nor you entertained by them, and often you say things you normally wouldn't say - usually with much bitterness.

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.