Skip to main content

A Challenge...of sorts

According to my calculations, I have approximately $110 in my checking account (not including what I need to set aside for rent on the 1st) to last me until April 7th when I am paid again. Luckily, all my beginning of the month bills have been paid already. Also luckily, I have money in savings so I'm not really destitute but I'd prefer not to tap into that pool. Once you do it's easier to do it again. The same thing goes for credit cards.

When I first started writing this post it was going to be about how challenging it was going to be to live on $110 for a week and a half. Now I'm wondering how I thought that could be a challenge. I mean really. It sounds almost absurd that I can't go 10 days without spending $110. What am I doing in the next 10 days that requires that much money? Let's see. From Wednesday to Saturday there is nothing I need to spend any money on. I have no dinner plans and no travel plans. Sunday I will be going out to eat with some girlfriends, probably for both lunch and dinner since we're taking a road trip. I'm not planning on getting all extravagant so that's what? about $40 since I don't drink. I bet I can get that down to closer to $30 or even $25. Chipping in for gas is probably another $10. Then, I am taking a road trip on Monday so I'll have to put gas in my car - about $23. And I'll have to pay for at least one meal ($15) and tolls ($1.50).

That adds up to $80-90, depending on the cost of meals and gas, leaving me with about $20 - 30 for groceries for the rest of the week. You know, it's probably about time that I actually ate what was in my pantry and freezer. In a way, eating what I already have is an extention of my goal to get rid of one possession a day (it's going well by the way). That will be the challenge - making meals I want to eat out of what I already have. I may have to supplement with some fresh veggies, eggs and milk but other than that, I should be good to go!

This isn't a challenge, it's an opportunity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...