Skip to main content

Closure

I got married in a science building. It was where we met and spent most of our time. Believe me, it was much nicer than you are picturing. It had a 3 story atrium with a skylight and nice balconies and such. Anyway, it certainly wasn't a church.

My X lived with my ex-grandmother-in-law for many years growing up and, despite being a very big figure in my X's life, she did not go to our wedding. I was cleaning out my drawers and found a note from her from before the wedding explaining why. I find it very sad. I have no problem with people having faith and convictions but whatever happened to compassion? She wrote:

"I cannot be a witness at your wedding. It is hard for me to believe that you have turned your back on your Catholic Faith. Truly you have broken my heart. 'What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul.' What a sad road you have chosen - never to be able to receive Holy Communion again. 'Unless you eat My flesh and drink My blood you shall not have life in you....Your mother, grandfather and I did our very best to take care of you physically, mentally, and spiritually - you lacked nothing...My love for you has not changed - I will pray for you every day for as long as I live."

I can't say that when we received that note I felt very good about it. She made no mention of me specifically (I think she knew better than that) but you can imagine how hurtful that letter was. My X acted like he didn't care but I knew he did. How could he not? At least she pulled it out in the end. She wasn't disowning or disavowing him, just his marriage to me. It sure does pull on the heart strings a little doesn't it?

She and I had a fine relationship while I was married. I just let her talk, which she was very good at doing, and I'd smiled and nod throughout the "conversation." Go along to get along. I don't think she was bothered by the divorce. After all, we were never really married in her eyes so except for the whole living in sin thing, my X is in the clear. Bring on the Rapture!

Anyway, that letter is now in the trash. It's ancient history and not something I need to dwell on. You know what else I put in the trash? My marriage license and related paperwork. The only twinge of regret or concern I felt was not knowing whether I'll need those documents to prove something random in court or to the IRS or something someday. I don't know what that would be but you never know. I'm not going to worry because I'm sure I can get copies from wherever the hell we got them in the first place. If I didn't need them at the divorce I don't think I'll need them anywhere else.

Other than that logistical concern, no feelings. It's over. It's been over for a long time. I am still discovering the wounds and soft spots left over from the relationship but they are healing. Poor Friendster Guy gets the brunt of it when we stumbles across a scar or two but he's patient and let's me struggle with my demons when they rear their ugly head. And he seems to understand they aren't about him. But there are sensitivities I have and situations I will not let myself repeat. I'm being very clear about what I need and how he can work with me to provide for those needs. I think he's taking it all in stride. I hope so. He may be very similar to my X in many superficial ways (name, home state, religion, only child) but I am learning from the past. History will not repeat itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.