Skip to main content

Practicing Discardia

I have a bumper sticker on my car that says "The best things in life aren't things." My friend J pointed out the irony of that sticker to me as he and several other of my friends toiled to move me into my second floor apartment last October. Before I moved I had purged a lot of stuff. Or what I considered a lot of stuff. But I still had way more than necessary. I still have way more than necessary.

I have a profile on 43 Things. It's a site where you make a list of 43 things you want to do in your life, from giving up smoking to flying in a hot air balloon to visiting all 50 states. It just so happens that no less than 5 of my 43 Things have something to do with having less stuff or enjoying what I have, not what I don't. I recently came across someone who had "get rid of one possession every day" and I found the idea fascinating. Could I do that? My first thought was no way. I need everything I have. But then I started to think of the things I have floating around the house that are in various states of disrepair or that don't fit me anymore.

Then I began picturing the contents of my drawers and closets. I am very organized so even though I have a lot of stuff I know exactly where all of it is. And there is stuff I know I can get rid of easily. Many that I can pawn off on my X and he can deal with it. After that it would get harder. Maybe.

What you don't yet know about me is that for a time I was a professional organizer. I had an actual client or two whose house I went to and I went through their things Clean Sweep style.
What I know as a "professional" is that the hardest part about getting rid of your things is starting, and then realizing that it feels better to let it go of it than to cling to it irrationally. Easier said than done of course. The psychology of getting rid of things is quite fascinating.

It just so happens that Discardia starts tomorrow (see the link's sidebar), not coincidentally on the first day of spring. Discardia is the holiday of letting go. Because it is spring I am currently in the mood for letting go of physical things, although you can let go of whatever your little heart desires - guilt, stress, painful memories, obligations, etc.

Because of Discardia falling so conveniently on the day after I started thinking about getting rid of a few things, I am going to start getting rid of one possession a day. Maybe I'll list the items here if I remember. What I'm going to do right now is turn on some music and scan my rooms for the first wave of stuff. Nothing like a large purge to get the Discardia juices flowing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...