Skip to main content

Sex Ed refresher courses

When I was a kid I learned way more than the average kid about the mechanics of sex. When my mother was pregnant for my sister the doctor asked me where the baby was fully expecting me to say "In Mommy's tummy." Imagine his surprise when I said, "In Mommy's uterus." I was two. Precocious little git.

Then I had and loved the book Where Did I Come From? when I was about 4 or 5. I have pictures of me reading it. If you have kids I highly recommend it. It's probably harder for the parents to read it than for the kids to hear it.

From the time I was 10, or maybe even younger, my Mom would borrow The Miracle of Life from the library. You can watch the updated version at that link. The interior footage (i.e. inside the body) is the same but from the small portion I just watched, they've made it a lot more...sexy. John Lithgow narrates.

In 6th grade I got the official sex education class in school. Coed. Giggles. Embarrassment. No one asked any questions of course. This was 1987-88. AIDS was an issue. Pregnancy was an issue.

Everyone taught us the what, but we never really got the how. How do you talk to your partner about STDs? How do you get tested? I'm almost 30 and I still don't really know the answer to those questions. Being married so young (21) all I had to worry about was pregnancy. Now I have to relearn everything I didn't have to practice in my 20s. I feel like I'm still in the larval stage of both the physical and psychological consequences of sex. And I knew the word uterus at age 2! What happened in the interim?

They should have sex ed every year in school and part of it should involve role play. Not THAT kind of role play you sick pervert ; ), but role playing the conversations you should have. The first time you've ever spoken to someone about STDs shouldn't be while rolling around on a couch. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly articulate at that moment. I can imagine it would be embarassing as all hell to have to talk to a classmate about the number of partners they've had (they could make it up or have a sheet to answer from) but is it any less embarassing to do it in real life? In real life you can die from that embarassment. Why not get it out of your system before it has more dire consequences than getting red in the face and getting teased by classmates?

Comments

Mica Tucker said…
So I have thought for a long time as I wrote in September that the ideal sex ed for teens -- especially girls -- would "consist mostly of my showing all of my stretch marks (no, they do not become silvery almost invisible "trophies") and discussing the joys of morning sickness, sleep deprivation (yes, I am still talking about pregnancy) and 'sharing' space within your own body that you never really thought you would have to sublet."
I agree that discussing the awkwardness of the sexual encounter (What's your name again? How many partners? Ever treated for an STD? Birth control? You're into WHAT???) would also go a long way both in prevention of teen pregnancy, unwanted pregnancy and in promotion of good sexual health -- mental and physical -- among our young people. I have given up on the rest of us. So, you write something up. I'll present it to Bill Frist and ...who is out Surgeon General these days??? Oh, Carmona. Yeah, there's a name we've heard a lot in the news during our "National healthcare crisis." Hmmm. I feel a blog entry coming on!

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.