Skip to main content

Good coming out of tragedy...I think.

According to an article in the Chronicle of Higher education, the Duke Lacrosse team rape scandal is causing a ripple through college sports. Some highlighted points below.

"A new lacrosse landscape. Several college lacrosse coaches predicted that Duke would permanently disband its lacrosse program. "

I think that's stupid. Why? Because it doesn't solve the problem of great big drunken (or worse, sober) bohunks in a group acting like savage animals. Sure, it punishes a few of them but really it's like putting a bandaid on a stab wound. You may not see it anymore but the problem is still festering and hemorraging below.

"No more free rides. Some legal experts predicted that the Duke investigation would lead more colleges to dismiss players who violate team rules."

*Sassy Pants scratches her head in confusion* Shouldn't they have been doing that in the first place? Isn't that what rules are for? Isn't there a consequence when the rules aren't followed? Of course not. These are American college athletes, second only in stature to our American heroes serving in Iraq. Strapping young lads sacrificing their bodies and souls for the good of our country and entertainment (the athletes, not the soldiers). Now before I get any hate mail saying I'm unpatriotic, I think our soldiers deserve to be held in high esteem regardless of whether I think the reason they are in harms way is justified or not. Unless of course they too act like savage animals (more savage than is required in a war) and then all bets are off. However, college athletes are so coddled and revered it's disgusting.

"Rooting out problems. The Duke scandal was a topic of conversation this week as 100 college officials gathered at Clemson University to discuss what causes athletes to act irresponsibly and how universities can prevent students from misbehaving."

Here, here! Let's get it all out on the table and do something about it. It's only been a few hundred, if not thousand, years.

"Looking inward. In light of what is happening at Duke, some college officials are starting to scrutinize their own programs."

As well they should. As well they should.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The wholly unspoken in all of this -- or should we say holy -- is the money. Duke is part of the Big East, and while lax might only be #4 in terms of sports revenue (behind men's hoops, men's football, and possibly women's hoops), you're talking millions upon millions of dollars for the school in licensing rights.

D-I NCAA teams -- especially those in major conferences -- take in so much money from sports that I'm almost disgusted I paid anything at all for my masters. The licensing rights to one basketball game on ESPN would have paid for the degrees of everyone in my program for about five years.

That money is the reason "student"-athletes tend to get passes on disciplinary action, particularly when they're good athletes.
I have yet to hear a reasonable argument for why people who are employed to kill other people should be held in high esteem. The saddest echo of Viet Nam is the simple fact that once again we are not the good guys.

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.