Skip to main content

My 2 Part Plan to Prevent Procrastination

I am so much better at getting things done on days that I have meetings than on days that I don't. You'd think a wide open calendar would be a good thing. "Look at how much time I have to get stuff done!" But no, there is nothing I need to do any time management around so I just say, "Look how much time I have to do whatever I want! I'll still have plenty of time in the afternoon to buckle down." Lo and behold the afternoon comes around and now, "It's Friday afternoon and no one gets anything done on Friday afternoons so why should I?"

I am such a slacker sometimes.

However, to counteract my slacker tendencies I have created a plan. It's a two fold plan. (See, this is what I do while I'm slacking off. Make plans, lists, think about what I should be doing at home. I'm still doing something, just not what I'm supposed to be doing.)

The first part of the plan is to pretend I am leaving my job in two weeks and I have to wrap up all the loose ends before my replacement (not that anyone could replace me) comes in.

The second part of the plan is to set a timer (I found one on-line) so I have to work for a certain amount of time before I get another amount of time to "play." This keeps me on the straight and narrow and not searching the internet for vast amounts of time.

What you have to understand is that I have a strange job with no deadlines except those that are self imposed. [Oops! Gotta run, my "play" timer just went off. Back in 30.] [I'm back] Luckily, I am not a procrastinator by nature or I would have been fired years ago. I have to create fake deadlines in order to function and move projects forward. It's actually working quite nicely this two part plan of mine.

You're probably wondering what sort of job has no deadlines. I am the unofficial queen of "other duties as assigned." You have no idea. I am the receiver of projects that do not fall in anyone else's job description or department. Sort of pie in the sky - "Wouldn't it be nice if someone could work on this? Hey, wait a second, why don't we give it to Sassy Pants to figure out?"

While there are a few things that have deadlines, most projects are so long term, or so amorphous when I get them that I have to make up what needs to be done when. In addition, none of my projects have any bearing on any other project so nothing builds on anything. It's nice in a "choose your own adventure" sort of way but can really get you frazzled when you don't know what is a priority, or you are working on three different projects at once and get an email about the fourth. It is helpful that I am afraid someone will ask me out of the blue where I am on something. This is probably secret Part 3 of my 2 part plan - use my fear of letting someone down, or looking stupid, to get stuff done.

Well, I have one last 30 minute chunk of time today so I gotta go. My Monday self will thank my Friday afternoon self when she arrives at work and her email in-box is clean and all the sticky notes are organized or chucked. Have a nice last few minutes of work! Unless you are in a different time zone. If so, best of luck to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.