Skip to main content

Random Stuff

I went shopping yesterday and managed to find a knee strap, $13.99 at Walgreens. Then I went grocery shopping and they even had them there. I'm glad I didn't go to a fancy sporting goods shop and spend too much. Of course I still may discover cheap is cheap for a reason.

Speaking of cheap, I bought a nice black skirt suit yesterday. Three quarter length sleeves, nice satin piping around the collar. Fits perfectly. Guess how much I paid for it. No really, guess. You'll never believe me when I tell you! Nine dollars and seventy seven cents. You couldn't even buy the fabric for that. Thank you JCPenney.

Question, when did sizes all of a sudden become odd numbers? Maybe it was just because I was cruising the clearance racks but all the sizes were odd - 7, 9, 11, 13. I felt like I'd been transported to Europe or something. It was great though because I'm more a 9 than an 8 or 10. One's too tight, one's too loose. Note: I can't believe 10 is too loose. I'm still psychologically a 14. Or a 14 desperately trying to breath in the 12s I bought because I wouldn't accept size 14.

I apologize for this completely random post but sometimes a girl has random stuff to say. Here's more, I'm not tapped out yet.

I went and saw the Da Vinci code. It's worth renting but you don't need to shell out the $8+ to see it in the theater. Add it to your Netflix list. I will say Tom Hanks's hair wasn't as bad as it was in Castaway but it was pretty bad. I prefer the buzz cut from Forest Gump to the pseudomullet, reminds me of my Dad in the 70s when he still had hair, hairdo. But I digress. (From what?, you ask. Yeah, yeah, pipe down.) Anyway, prior to the movie there were about 300 previews and commercials. Now, I love a good preview (Is it wrong that I'm now really interested in seeing the newest Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock romance feature - The Lake House? Yes. It is definitely wrong. I probably need some sort of shock therapy to snap me out of it but I tell you what, whoever edited that preview deserves an Academy Award. Or I'm a sucker for romance in 2 minute doses.) Anywhoo - one of the commercials prior to the movie was to get people out fishing. Yes, you heard me right, a commerical for fishing. There were little kid voice-overs saying things like, "Take me fishing so that we'll always have something in common." Then they got to a little girl, mouth full of cutely gapped/missing teeth, braids, all smiles. Her voice over said, "Take me fishing because my wedding is sooner than you think."

Well, not only was I creeped out by the thought of this 7-9 year old on her wedding day but WTF? She can't go fishing after she's married? She can't aspire to be anything but a bride? For the little boys it was all about bonding, presumably with their Dad. The little girl has to threaten her Dad with her imminent departure to get him to do stuff with her. "I will leave you and be some other man's property at some point so you better do fun stuff with me now before I totally diss you." As opposed to the sons who will continue fishing after marriage, leaving their wives at home to watch the kids while they go out, drink beer, and scare fish with their Dad.

Oh, and I was mistaken for a lesbian. It wasn't surprising. There was a gay couple who sat next to me at the movie (Thank goodness for small favors because I've had a nasty single-ish old guy sit next to me before and he totally checked me out whenever I stood up to let someone into the aisle. His young daughter was sitting many rows in front of us.) I had met one of the men in this couple before briefly and the context was a drag show to raise funds for AIDS hospice care type stuff. So to be mistaken for a lesbian was not really a stretch. But I did feel bad when they asked me about gay clubs or events in the area. Unfortunately for them there are none (that I know of at least) so I didn't have to back track and explain my sexual orientation in the middle of a movie theater. I probably would have said something along the lines of, "Gentlemen, I'm just a friend of the family." As Friendster Guy said though, of all the people they could have sat next to in the theater I probably would have been the one with my finger most on the pulse of all things Family in the Upper Valley. Too bad there is no pulse.

I think that's enough randomness for now. Ciao!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been reading your blog off and on for some time, thru Jennifer Myszkowski's blog.
I keep meaning to introduce meself when you call-out for that sort of thing. Instead, weighing in here with a comment/caution.
I've been reliant on one of those cheap drugstore knee braces for rather a few years...for longer backpacking trips and such. It made my knee happier. But then, I finally asked my doc about the on-going knee issues and he broke the magic by telling me that any relief it was giving me was purely psychological. Don't know if that's an across the board dis of those knee braces or if it's just my particular knee.
At any rate, luck with all your running!

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.