Skip to main content

Sponge Bob Sassy Pants

Last weekend my Mom was telling me about an article in O(prah) magazine a month or so back where they talked about people who are sponges and take on the attitude and feelings of others around them. It can manifest itself in mirroring behaviors, emotional changes, and also physically. I am SUCH a sponge. It's why I don't like to watch movies where someone gets embarassed. I feel their pain too profoundly. It's also why I avoid negative people like the plague. I get physical symptoms because my body rejects what the sponge wants to take in. I had a negative boss several jobs back, and by negative boss I mean she-devil, and I ended up with a night guard to stop me from clenching my teeth at night.

Since my vacation, I've been feeling like a much more sedate version of myself. I still feel like myself but I lack the vim and vigor I am known for. It's funny because in my interactions with people I can see, almost as if from a perspective outside myself, that I am quieter, more thoughtful, less effusive, more calm - like Friendster Guy. As a sponge I've taken on a part of his personality. I don't see it as a negative, but as an interesting turn of events. I could certainly use a little introspection and calm in my life.

I was talking about this experience just last night with my friend N while we were waiting for a friend of hers, J. When J showed up she was full of energy and sarcasm and wit and I instantly liked her. I also instantly reverted to my more energized and bantery ways. N could certainly tell you that it was a crazy transformation. I guess I just needed to be reminded of that spark and I ran with it.

It's a fascinating phenomenon. Suck it up.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»
Anonymous said…
I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...