Skip to main content

Worth it

What's the point of a relationship nowadays? It's no longer procreation, or survival (although combining expenses is quite helpful in that regard). So what keeps us pairing up and yearning for another to "complete" us?

My theory? It is uniquely human to want someone out there in the world to be on your side and by your side. For someone to think you are worth spending time with, worth sacrificing things for, worth risking heartache and dispair for if you should happen to shuffle off this mortal coil.

I have had two people in the last two days ask me the same question: What was it that was the final straw that broke up your marriage? When they asked me I gave them somewhat long convoluted answers, partly because I hadn't really thought about it that specifically, and partly because the process itself was long and convoluted. Having now had a chance to mull it over in my head, the answer can be distilled down to this: I realized that he didn't think I was worth it.

The actual incident, one of a long string of incidents but the one that really made me see how far we'd fallen away from each other, was my birthday (hence my mini-freak out when I was thought Friendster Guy was going to repeat history). In my X's mind - or at least in his actions - I was not worth taking five minutes and making reservations for. Obviously this little thing was not the end itself but a culmination of a series of events where I realized more and more that I was not only second on his list of priorities, but sometimes even third and fourth. And there were many actions that led me to this conclusion. Most very small but when added up the sum of the parts was greater than the whole. He'd take off a day of work to drive down to NJ to play dungeons & dragons with his buddies but not to spend time with me. He'd call and order pizza when he was hanging out with his friends but if I suggested he pick up the phone and place an order there was no end to the whining. He didn't want me to go to conferences with him because he didn't feel comfortable bringing me (having worked as a conference coordinator I knew that spouses were welcome and even planned for but he didn't seem to get this).

This post was not supposed to be a rant against my X but an affirmation that if you are in a relationship where the other person doesn't make you seem worth it, get out. I have two friends who have recently broken up with their boyfriends. One relationship held a lot of promise but extenuating circumstances and logic brought it to an end (logic, when applied to a relationship, has never been the best idea). The other should have ended long ago but, as we all do, my friend held out hope that it would get better. After all, the longer you're in a relationship the closer you're supposed to get, right?

But how long do you wait? If you're moving at different speeds, as two people in a relationship often are, how do you know when the slower person has caught up, or is never going to? I think that in the interim it's about feeling worth it. If your significant other hasn't caught up with you on relationship milestones (they haven't said I love you, they aren't interested in co-habitation, you see wedding rings and they don't) it's generally ok and you can live with it as long as the rest of the time you feel worth it in their eyes.

When your significant other won't hold your hand or begrudgingly holds it for 5 seconds and then bats it away (as my X did) you don't feel worth it. You can't understand why they don't either want to be seen with you or they don't feel the need to show they care about you. When you never feel like your partner ever thinks about you when you're apart, you wonder, am I not worth caring about?

But you ARE worth caring about. And it's important to be shown, in whatever ways your partner is comfortable, that you're worth it. There are times of course when it's difficult to translate what makes a person feel worth it, even to yourself. It took me awhile to not take it personally when FG signed up for overtime. Lots of overtime. My first thought was, "Am I not worth giving up an OT shift for? Am I not worth spending time with?" But I determined that it wasn't about me at all. And he shows me in more very (very) subtle ways that he is thinking of me and I AM worth it. Instead of just taking the OT he now calls and asks if it is all right. I know that he's already 95% committed to the OT but just knowing that I popped into his head as someone who may have a stake in the situation makes me know he thinks I'm worth it. Him including me in the decision also takes some of the sting away from not seeing him for awhile. Believe me, I'm still disappointed, but I'm not angry, and I move forward and make other plans more quickly - instead of wallowing in self-pity. And I'd like to think I showed him that he is worth it by driving twenty miles out of my way to deliver him and his co-workers homemade ice cream (I've made three batches in my new machine - chocolate, peach gelato, and Cherry Garcia!)

I don't know if this post makes any sense. I have lots of thought floating around in my head as a result of my friends' breakups and people asking me about the end of my marriage. I'm just not sure if it translates here.

If you get one thing out of this post, remember, you're worth it. And if you aren't feeling that from your partner - find someone else.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's amazing to see such a fresh look at relationships! :) Since you have been through a lot of different perspectives (single, married, divorced, dating, etc.) it's pretty obvious you have some education in the area!! :) lol Gotta love it. I still think that relaitonships are the best thing in life -- dangerous curves, speed bumps, and potholes included!! You should try going on tour to see what happens with relationships!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.