Skip to main content

Master of my own destiny

I had lunch with my thesis advisor and several of her advisees today. I specifically sat across from her so I could riddle myself with guilt since I have not been working on my thesis at all.

I never used to be a procrastinator. This is really the only thing I've ever procrastinated on. Of course I have been a little busy. Divorce, new apartment, dating frenzy, new boyfriend, new job, another new apartment, four weddings and a funeral, a full time job that involves writing so who wants to go home and write more?, and a social life of sorts. Granted, if I spent as much time working on my thesis as I do blogging I'd be done by now.

So today at lunch I told my thesis advisor that she needs to lay the guilt on as thickly as possible. If she ever thinks of me she needs to drop me a line and ask, "How's the thesis going?" I generally don't need pushing on projects. I've always been that annoying person who is done term papers days in advance. In fact, unless you are the person to whom I am responsible, pushing me to do something usually has the opposite affect. You push me and I'll dig my heals in further. I have a very childish response to anyone but my professor mentioning that I should be working on it. I literally have an internal hissy fit and I totally bristle - "Who are you to tell me to work on it?! Screw you. I'm going to go watch TV." Like right now, just the thought of someone asking me how they can help me move forward on the project makes me want to punch someone. Moral of the story: I'd advise you not to advise me on my thesis.

It has, however, come to the time when I need to buckle down and work on this thing. I have to have a pretty good draft by March if I want to graduate. And if I don't want to be freaking out in March it should be as close to a final draft as possible at that time. It's not even going to be that hard once I get my act together. And getting my act together simply means sitting my ass down for longer than 10 minutes and going for it. As soon as I'm back from vacation, that's it - full steam ahead. Seriously. Except for the holidays, I have nothing on my plate. And FG starts working on the weekends consistently soon so I'll have no excuse.

My thesis advisor did give me a task - when I get back I have to put together an annotated table of contents. This is good. I needed a first step to the next phase of my project.

FYI: For those of you new to Big Girl Underoos and my life, I am getting a Masters and my thesis is an oral history of the town I grew up in. It was a mill town and it's been slowly dieing the death of so many mill towns. I have completed the interviews. I have transcribed the interviews. I have edited half of the interviews so they make more sense and all the things that a person talked about on a subject are in one place. All I have to do now is finish editing and put everything together into a story that makes sense. So you see, in the grand scheme of slackers, I haven't really been doing too bad. But it has been over a year since I started so...

Wish me luck (but don't tell me I should do it. I'll just rebel. Pathetic.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.