Skip to main content

Towel-napping

First, Merry Christmas Eve Day! I'm doing a little blogging before I head off to my sister's house for a family sleep over. And I do mean sleep over - sleeping bags and the whole shebang. Tonight we're going to a Japanese steakhouse for dinner. Should be a good time. Poor Friendster Guy has to work but we'll exchange gifts tomorrow night when he's off and I'm back.

But on to the title of this post - Towel-napping.

I was in the gym on Friday and I decided to go swimming. I brought my towel into the pool area so I could go straight to the showers without having to go back to my locker dripping wet. They discourage such behavior. So there are two indoor pools - one for laps, one for aqua aerobics. I pass the empty aqua aerobics pool and go to the lap pool. There is one other person in the pool and her stuff is on a chair by her lane. I go to the thrid and furthest lane, put my towel on the chair at that lane and begin my swim. I don't know why but I'm mildly paranoid about my towel and someone taking it. Actually, it's not my towel, it's the club's but for the period of time in which it is my possession, it is my towel. So anyway, when the other woman in the pool gets out I double check my towel and it's still there. Cool.

Next, a woman and her early adolescent daughter get into the other pool. At one point, when I'm at the far end of the lap pool with my fogged up goggles I see the girl scurry into the lap pool area and then run really quickly back to the other pool and jump in. I think, "Huh. That's an awful long way to go to jump into the pool. " but then I forget it. UNTIL, I get out of the pool and my towel is gone. Gone! Nowhere to be seen. Now, I don't want to accuse anyone but there is NO ONE else in the pool and I may not be Sherlock Holmes or even Gil Grissom but I sure as hell can add 1 + 1 and get 2 most of the time.

Being that my gym bills itself (and its members...$$$) as a high quality gym, dayspa and tennis center, and it is located in an area where people actually walk back to the entrance of the grocery store to return their carts, theft and inconsideration is low on the list of problems. Now, I can understand how one white towel looks like all the other white towels but mine was so obviously mine it's not even funny.

Having discovered the towel missing I walked away from my pool and had to walk past the other where the mother and daughter were still swimming. Although I wanted to, I didn't say, "Give me my towel you teenage creatin." I said, "Did either of you see someone come in and take my towel?" Instead of saying, "My goodness, someone took your towel!?," the mother said, "Our towels are over there." If this were CSI that would be as good as a confession to the crime. Her daughter averted her eyes.

I didn't let them off easy. I got into the hot tub on the other side of their pool and stewed (quite literally) for awhile, every so often making eye contact with the girl. I wouldn't have been so annoyed if there were towels in the pool area or locker room, but no, they give you your towel when you walk in the door by the main entrance. I don't know about you, but I sure wasn't looking forward to walking my soggy ass out of the locker room, up the stairs and into the main area of the club. Nosiree.

Luckily, when I went into the locker room there were several new towels just sitting on a bench. I asked the woman closest to them if they were hers and then I took one. Multiple towels on a bench surrounded by lockers in which to put them are fair game. One lone towel by the lane in which someone is actually swimming is not. Grrr!!! If I had remembered I would have gone up to the front desk, gotten another towel and replaced the one I took - just in case. But I was still so annoyed that I didn't.

I hope she gets coal for Christmas the little thief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.