Skip to main content

I'm Pro-Choice and I Vote


If you catch your child playing with matches is it more helpful in the long run to say "No!" and hide them, or is it more helpful to explain to your child the pros and cons of matches, the appropriate use, and the dangers and consequences? I'm pretty sure that any child psychologist worth a damn would say that educating that child is the right way to go. Not only will they be armed with the knowledge to make the right decisions about match use, but if they see one of their peers acting stupid with the matches they may have the confidence to stop that action.
Why is it so hard for some people to make the leap from that type of education to sex education? Human nature makes those matches much more appealing when they are hidden and forbidden. Education helps the matches lose their allure, or at least makes the child think twice before, literally, playing with fire.
I am pro-choice. I am pro-education. I am pro-providing information so that a person can make an educated choice and understand all their options. Would it be better if no one had to have an abortion? Yes. Would it be better if no one was allowed to have an abortion? Absolutely not. We've already seen the results.
Abortion doesn't just happen. Pregnancy happens. Pregnancy happens for many reasons - accidents (despite the best intentions), misinformation, ignorance, force, stupidity, or on purpose. It can be a happy occasion or it can be the straw that breaks the camels back. There will always be accidents but there doesn't have to ignorance.
Let's make sure every child is a wanted child. And that that child is then educated to continue that happy trend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...