Skip to main content

Random Stuff



Why?


"You probably never thought of this, but women's shelters in the U.S. go through thousands of tampons and pads monthly. Assistance agencies generally help with expenses of "everyday" necessities such as toilet paper, diapers, and clothing, but one of the most BASIC needs is overlooked - feminine hygiene products. Seventh Generation, a green paper products and cleaning products company, has a do-good attitude and will donate a box of sanitary products to a women's shelter in your chosen state - just for clicking the link. Talk about easy (literally takes less than 1minute and they ask nothing of you)."

X as Friend of the Family

I've decided to try a new tactic. Since my family can't seem to make my X as X as I have, I've decided that I will now consider him not my X, but a friend of the family. That way, when I see him pop up on my siblings MySpace comments (or, god forbid, their Top 8), or at a family function (like my brother's wedding), or wherever he has insinuated himself into my family, I won't think negative thoughts like wanting to beat my siblings and such.


I'm making this about my happiness and cleansing my psyche. I could keep being wicked annoyed (It's OK, I can say "wicked", I'm from Massachusetts) and think, "Why the hell won't my family let him go?" or I can just think "Oh, there's that guy that is a friend of the family." and have no feelings about it either way. Since I don't really have feelings about the man anyway - except when it comes to the fact that my family won't get rid of him - I think this is a good idea. If you can't beat them (no matter how much you want to), join them.


Push/Pull

If I ruled the world, all push/pull door paraphenalia would be uniform so that no matter what door you went to, you'd know before hand whether you had to push it or pull it to open it. This would save us all from lots of embarassment and potential pain as we walk into a pull door we assumed was push.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aw, come on, Sassy. We know there's an embarrassing story behind that push/pull bit. Spill! Spill! :-)

As for X, I say sibling-beating's the way to go. They can like him if they want, but they have to support you and respect your desire to not be in the same room as a guy who ignored you for years.
tjdygon said…
I'm thinking it may be time for family counseling- with EVERYONE! X, X's new girlfriend, just let everyone go at it. Next event he gets invited to- don't go. Either him or you. it's crazy.Who knows maybe they will get it.
Sassy Pants said…
Sorry Josh, no embarassing story, just annoyance with my walk through 3 buildings from my car to my office to avoid the cold. I have to open about 30 doors and I never know which way they open because they all have handles to grab, even the push ones.

As for the X - there's only so much a person can do to control other people. And even less if you want to maintain a good relationship. It's tough because my X was like an older brother to my brother who was only ten when X came into the picture. And, being a dancer, he didn't have a lot of male role models. As for my sister, she was only 15. My X wasn't good for me, but I have to admit, he wasn't bad for them.

As time passes and he moves further away (hurry up June!) the connection will fade. In the meantime, (and in case it doesn't)I have to figure out how I want to relate to everyone. We all only have control over ourselves and how we react. If I switch my mindset from X to family friend, I can let go of the negative feelings. I will, however, continue to point out to my family times when they may need to rethink their actions.

The most important thing to me now is making sure Friendster Guy takes his rightful place. That's made harder by his odd schedule but it's been over a year so it's time. It's dangerous though because, as is now apparent, once you're in, you're in for good. It's like the freakin' mafia.

I do kinda wish they'd pull a Fredo on my X though.
Sock Girl said…
I have no idea why someone hasn't thought of make the push/pull thing uniform before. That should be a law or something. I think you're a genius.

Popular posts from this blog

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge

Making Eye Babies

Colleges often have a lot of rules the students need to follow. After all, a bunch of 18-21 year olds can't really be expected to self-govern on their own, at least not 24/7, no matter how vehement they are that they can do just that. (I was 18-21 once myself so I know it's annoying to hear that. I don't mean all 18-21 year olds individually, I mean when they all get together in one place.) Then there are Christian Colleges which have more rules, often based on biblical teachings and moral dictates. Further down the spectrum is Bob Jones University* which considers the Christian colleges just too darn liberal so they piles on a bunch of morally based codes of behavior. Not to be outdone by the crazy liberal heathens at Bob Jones, Pensacola Christian College goes hog wild with the rules and moral imperatives and makes the Taliban look almost liberal. An article in the March 24th edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education explains some of the rules and regulations the stu

Everything old is new again...

It's been 10 years since last I posted here. Ten. Years. I guess it is true that things on the internet never disappear. I'm honestly shocked I was able to log in. A quick update: Friendster Guy and I split up, amicably, 2 years ago. Since then I've dated 3 gentlemen, the most recent of which lasted a year but once again, ended. Amicably. I'm excellent at breakups apparently. I have just reentered the world of on-line dating and was thinking how I used to chronicle my exploits here. A lot of things have changed in the interim - texting, Facebook being open to all, the ubiquity of camera phones, a new generation of dating sites/apps. But, a lot of things haven't. Men are still...men. The technology may have changed, but the people behind the scenes are still the same. The main difference is that I'm now 15 years older. Maybe, just maybe, I'm also wiser. And maybe, if I cross my fingers really hard, so are the gentlemen I end up meeting.