Skip to main content

Blogging as therapy and a quick way to reconnect

I think I might have convinced my mother to start a blog while at the same time not letting on that I have a blog myself. I know I'm going to want to link to it, but then she can track back and find my blog and I won't be able to talk about her and the rest of my family so liberally. And that, quite frankly, would be a cryin' shame. A girl's gotta vent.

The reason I think she should start a blog is that she loves to rant. I get a lot of "Can you believe [insert random, and I mean random thing to rant about here]?!" The current record she's playing is about how the guys she works with don't like music. As she says, "How can you not like music?" I agree of course, but just when you'd think a nod and a comiserating, "That's crazy" would be the end of the conversation, it isn't, and another 20 minutes goes by on the phone with her lamenting their idiocy but not really adding much to the argument. I think a blog might 1) help her foment her point and 2) find her an audience thereby taking the stress off of me and my siblings.

You see, for whatever reason, she has no friends to rant to. It's not because of her personality (except perhaps that the ranting could get old) but because she has a touch of what we now call "social anxiety" which was once called, simply, "shyness". You wouldn't know it to look at her. Especially if she's around the family. But she always wants to be around the family, partly because she has no friends. See the vicious cycle? She's comfortable with us, uncomfortable with others, and therefore seeks a lot of one to make up for the lack of other. It hard to be the child and the friend. Thank goddness there are 4 of us kids. It would be too big a job for one person.

Recently, however, my sister, brother and I have noticed a definite lull in the ranting, like she can't quite get up the energy or interest to go off on something. And although that is a good thing for us, it actually makes us concerned about her mental health. We think she's depressed. I don't necessarily want to tell my Mom, "Get thee to a therapist" but I'm definitely an advocate of the therapeutic benefits of a blog so there you go.

If I can figure out how to tell you where to go without giving up my secret identity I'll do it.

In the meantime, I just this morning reconnected with an old friend I haven't seen in, gosh, is it already 7 years? And she has a blog herself - Granny Hall. Go check it out! Also, don't miss her favorite obituaries. Morbid, but fascinating.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Golly. Has it really been 7 years????

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...