Skip to main content

Ignorance is bliss(ters and chaffing)

There comes a time in every girl's life when she takes a good hard look at herself, does some soul searching, perhaps meditates a little, and realizes:

"I have no freakin' clue what size bra I wear."

In addition to the bikini/Croc incident this past weekend (see last post) I had another "first." I finally got up the cahones to get myself measured for a bra.

I had already made it to the "Intimates" department of JCPenney's, gravitated to one of the 853 racks of bras, and proceeded to grab three sizes of two different styles. When I got to the fitting room, there was an actual person manning the desk nearby. She was fairly grandmotherly (if your grandmother still dyes her hair red and isn't fooling anyone) so I thought to myself, "Self, now would be a good time to bite the bullet. You have no idea if you are a 34 A, a 36 B, or some combination of the two. Just do it."

So I did.

"'Scuse me, do you measure people for bras?"

Sales lady - "Oh, only about 8 times per day."

This surprised me. I had no idea so many people would need to be measured and I certainly wasn't expecting them to be doing so at JCPenney.

"Would you measure me?"

"Sure, come into the dressing room. My name is Diane."

"Hi, I'm Sassy." (It's appropriate to be on a first name basis with the woman who will be soon wrapping a tape measure around your boobs.)

Diane - "You're going to need to take off your shirt."

And so measuring took place - one measurement under the breasts, one across the breasts - which was a little akward because I had on one of my most padded (illfitting) bras and she didn't suggest I remove it so she had to kind of squoosh to get to the actual measurment). Then she took the wrong size bras I'd chosen right out of the dressing room with her, and came back in a few minutes with ones in the right size. Painless, easy, and I ended up with 4 new 36B bras.

And they were even on sale.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Queen Geek said…
I loved this post. It made me laugh out loud, having been through a very similar experience. I loved the introduction...so true!

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...