Skip to main content

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!"

I saw Sicko today.
sicko badge

It not only made me cry (several times), but it made me sick to my stomach. I just wanted to throw up. Seeing the avoidable hell that people (Americans) have to go through because of an illness or even a simple procedure just...I can't even express it. The fact that universal health care works in other parts of the world (England, Canada, France, Cuba!) and the population is healthier and happier while we (the U.S. health care industry) can't seem to get our heads out of our asses (or is that assets?) boggles the mind.

Go see it. Even if you hate Michael Moore, go see it. Go see it and tell me you aren't sickened. And frightened, and ready to move to Canada where the health care is free. (The credits even point you to a site to go to if you want to marry a Canadian for access to their health care program www.hook-a-canuck.com)

I'll tell you what, in the next election I'm paying close attention. I'm only supporting candidates who support universal health care and have a plan to move it forward. I've found a new soap box.

I can't imagine we live in a society where things like this happen. If you want to hear the trials and tribulations of a real person without health insurance who comes down with cancer, look no further than my sidebar - Lymphopo (formerly Granny gets a vibrator) tells it like it is and it ain't pretty.

Sorry to be such a downer, especially since you are probably seeing this Monday morning, but dear god, our system makes people into monsters. It demonizes the patients and sucks the soul out of the practioners. Speaking of soul sucking, dig yourself out of Harry Potter 7 and get thee to the movie theater!

Here's a collection of snippets from the movie spoken by Tony Benn, a former member of the British Parliament. I wish he could run for our presidency (or be my grandpa). He was so articulate and bright in this film.

"If you have the money to kill people, you have the money to help people." - Tony Benn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...