Skip to main content

Something's fishy. News at 11.

It is on days like these, when the weather surprises me by being a tit bit more nipply than I expected in the morning, that I think, "Gosh, perhaps I should watch the News and find out what's going on in the world. At least I'd know I should bring a jacket."

Then I realize how much happier I am not to know. Because really, unless I need to evacuate tout sweet, shouldn't be drinking the water from my tap, a killer is stalking my neighborhood right this instant, or I want to kick ass at Trivial Pursuit 15 years from now, I don't need to know. At least I don't need to know what passes for "News" anymore - celebutants in and out of rehab, politicians lying and retiring, the next crazy disease that is going to wipe us out.

I watched an "episode" of the News the other week and all it was was fear mongering. Every scene was them screaming, with graphics and scrolling information, "Here is what you NEED TO BE AFRAID OF! We're not kidding. Really! Be afraid. Be very afraid! There are fish, FISH, that jump out of the water and can HURT YOU*! See, see this cute little blonde girl? She was cut by the FISH! All because she went out with her family on what seemed to be a normal day. Just like you are living right now. Until...shewascutbyajumping FISH! It could happen to you. Keep watching or you won't know what's gonna getcha. Scared yet? Oogabooga. And now a word from our sponsors - Fishbegone Pepper Spray"

I think I'll just check the weather on-line.

*You can't make this stuff up if you tried.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...