Skip to main content

So help me god, I will never work retail again!

Painting takes a hell of a lot longer than I remember. I have a full morning of living room painting to do before we fill it up with furniture friday. It's big room. Sigh...

Since I am incoherent with tiredness, here's a blog post from someone else that is absolutely hilarious - 15 Minute Lunch's commentary on a 1977 JCPenney catalogue.

My first job at 16 was at a JCPenney's in the watch repair department tucked away by the catalog area. I can change watch batteries and resize bands like you read about. I almost went into a comma on most days though. It was hours of boredom punctuated by being harassed by either the security guys, the guys from the stockroom, the optometrist who was old enough to be my father and told me dirty jokes, or the customers. My very first day these two guys asked me if I'd like to sit down (I was standing guarding a pile of cheap watches and also near the chairs in the optometrist area.) When I said "no thanks", they said, "That's too bad because you could have sat here", and they proceeded to put their hands together and wiggle their fingers.

Asshats.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I keep picturing going into a "comma" as curling up on the floor in the fetal position. Something that I want to do at work fairly frequently these days, but not from boredom.

Thanks for the giggle to brighten my day.

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...