Skip to main content

Life's a Beach

While I was on vacation last week my brain wandered, as it tends to do anyway but really does while relaxing on vacation, and I kept having thoughts. The kind of thoughts that lead to really random blog posts as well as really long to do lists. Because I was on vacation with little else to do but eat and read (awesome!) I started writing these thoughts down (dangerous). As I now scan this list of non sequitors I see that I decided that it would be a good idea to talk to my boss about speaking at a personal training conference. (What?) I also wrote down things like "mosaic the book shelf in the kitchen " and "do an oral history of my friends who escaped Iran during the revolution."

Am I kidding me?

Luckily, there was one thing I wrote down that does not involve me starting a 6 to 24 month to lifetime project and that was my list titled, "How to make real life more like a vacation." Now this, this I can get behind. The other things are just a teensy bit on the side of crazy talk. So, without further ado, here is how I decided to make life more vacationy.

  1. Work less (duh!)
  2. Keep life simple (you always bring more stuff than you need on vacation with you, same is true in real life, downgrade)
  3. Be a tourist in your own area
  4. Eat locally and not at chain restaurants
  5. Spend less money
  6. Spend more time on things you want to do than on things you think you need to do.
  7. Read more and don't save "summer reading" for the summer
  8. Create a "getaway"space, somewhere comfy and cozy in your house to escape to.
  9. Take walks
  10. Take deep breaths
  11. Keep only beautiful meaningful, useful things
  12. Eliminate the guilt from doing all of the above and below
  13. Visit galleries, museums, and artistic spaces
  14. Eat out for breakfast
  15. Take naps
  16. Own only white or off-white linens (everything matches everything else)
  17. Go on a picnic
  18. Take art and/or cooking and/or dance classes
  19. Eat more slowly
  20. to be continued...
Do you have anything you'd add?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...