Skip to main content

What is wrong with me?!

My X husband seems to have, pardon my French, fucked me up when it comes to Valentine's Day. I have some serious issues. Some burst into tears at work level issues.

My need to know, my need to feel appreciated, and my need to not be a nag are currently in conflict and stressing me out. How does one go about making sure there are plans, without thereby inducing someone to make plans, which then means that the plans may not be all that genuine in the first place? It's a conundrum.

If Valentine's Day existed to make people feel bad about themselves, it would be succeeding at its goals. It's not just the singles that suffer. It's also a day for people in relationships to be reminded of how little their partner cares about them. In my case, I am talking about my X. My indifferent, you are 4th or 5th on my list of priorities, I don't love you although I'm not going to realize it until you decide to divorce me, X. Just because the divorce was amicable, doesn't mean the years leading up to it didn't sting like a mo'fo. I'm only now realizing how much it did, and that those stings left some scars.

I don't want to be this person. I'm trying not to be this person. I'm also trying desperately not to project any of this onto Friendster Guy. He is not my X. He is nothing like my X. It's unfortunate that he has to play a role in this struggle of mine. I hope I've been giving him enough warning so he'll know if he's about to kick open some baggage. I hope he knows how unfair I know it is that he has to dodge this mine field. He's a good guy and I have no doubt that he cares about me.

A box of chocolates or some stuffed animal is not really going to make that much difference in the long run. But in the short term, it may heal some wounds. When romance is built into the relationship, and love is a given, who the heck cares about a bouquet of flowers on February 14? Maybe someday I'll be able to think of Valentine's Day as just another day. I'm looking forward to that time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...