Skip to main content

Hospitalized for the Holidays

My family does do well on holidays and special occasions. It's not that we get mad at each other and storm off in a huff or end up in tears. We just tend to get sick. Really sick. Or dead.

When I was 5 I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia on Christmas Day. I stayed two days which, to a 5 year old, is an eternity, especially when there are new toys to be played with. My grandfather (my mother's father) died of a heart attack (or stroke, I'm never sure which) on December 24th when I was about 3. My mother's brother was struck and killed by a drunk driver a week before I was born which also happens to be a week before my mother's birthday. And this Thanksgiving, my grandfather, Papa, (my stepmother's father) ended up in intensive care with a severe case of pneumonia. He's going to be in the hospital for at least 4 days.

Papa is 80+. He's one of those guys from Maine who say "Ayuh" and "You can't get theyah from heyah." He is a strong man. He got his first cavity at 70. He lost his first finger at 75 or so. That sounds strange until you find out he's been a butcher, a carpenter, and he's run his own sawmill for the last 40 some-odd years. The saw is jury rigged and run by a VW bug engine, still in the body of the car. He's been lifting logs, building houses, and going like the energizer bunny for as long as I've known him. Unfortunately, over the last year his health has been fading. He had some heart trouble and was hospitalized for a month. I think being forced to slow down has made his body realize just how old he is. Before he was waylaid by his illness this summer, he didn't really allow himself to be his age.

I'd like to think he's a fighter. Everything in his past says that he is. I'm concerned that he's going to fall and fall hard. Like a relatively healthy and independent person who falls and breaks their hip. Something about losing the independence (not to mention the infections in the hospital) causes them to go into a rapid decline. I'm now very glad I made sure to go visit him a couple weekends ago. I wanted to make sure Friendster Guy had a chance to meet him. They have a similar calmness to them. So on this Thanksgiving, I am thankful that I went only slightly out of my way to see Papa. I should do it more often. Here's hoping we'll have many more holidays in the future.

Comments

Queen Geek said…
I hope Papa pulls through okay. I've got my fingers crossed for him.

Popular posts from this blog

Mycology*

A Phone Conversation: Me: "In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know I am signed up to auction myself off at a batchelor/batchelorette auction next month." Friendster Guy: "How much does a single girl go for these days? Will I have to bring my checkbook?" Right thing to say Friendster Guy. Right thing to say. Also, today is Compliment Day. According to this site , this day was created in 1998 by Kathy Chamberlin, of Hopkinton, NH. and Debby Hoffman, of Concord, NH. Sad that it took until 1998 to have a Compliment Day while National Pie Day began in 1986 (thanks American Pie Council and Crisco), and National Handwriting Day started way back in 1977. Spread the love today. Compliment 5 people. By the way, you're fabulous. * Mycology = the study of fungus

Gone by the wayside

I have no idea if anyone is reading this anymore. If you have been loyally checking back now and again I applaud you. At one point this blog was a therapeutic outlet for me. I'm glad to have a chronicle of my experiences during this time of my life. Now, however, instead of a creative outlet it's more of a nagging reminder that I should be posting and this girl does not need one more thing on her "To Do" list. I'd love for you to explore the archives if you so chose. If you have already done so, here's a brief update: Friendster Guy and I are still together and co-habitating. We are in domestic, but still unwedded, bliss (that status could be a post or two in and of itself, but, as I've just said, I'm done with that.) We're so domesticated we're in the market for granite countertops. We also just returned from an Aussie/New Zealand vacation and if 8 days in a tiny RV won't solidify (or destroy) a relationship nothing will. We're stronge...

TMI re: Nuvaring

Let's just state right up front that this post is going to contain too much information. It's about birth control, the prescription kind. Any modern straight gal must think about it unless they like playing russian roulette with their ovaries. (Thanks N for correcting my previously heterocentric sentence.) There is nothing fun about birth control except that you can kind of have sex without freaking out that you may get pregnant. Of course you may get pregnant anyway (joy! rapture!) simply because the gods are not smiling upon you and you are the one in 100 for whom the statistics suck. Pros of birth control: You are less likely to get pregnant. Sometimes your skin clears up. Less severe cramping. You have control of your own destiny, sort of. Cons of birth control: If you are on the pill you have to remember to take it every day. Sometimes, as in my case, it can make you think you are bipolar, even at a low dose. It's just a general pain in the rear end that makes you par...